AIR CANADA CENTRE GOES TO THE DOGS – HOT DOGS, THAT IS
The coach's dog house is generally not a great place to be, but on Tuesday afternoon at Air Canada Centre, it was THE place to be. Toronto Maple Leafs President & General Manager, Brian Burke and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment's (MLSE) Director of Culinary & Executive Chef, Robert Bartley introduced an expanded range of in-arena menu items, highlighted by the unveiling of two new concession stands, Burkie's Dog House and Wally's Donut Shop.
""We really wanted to cater to our fans in creating these new menu offerings; it's about feeding their passion for sports and their appetites at the same time,"" said Bartley. ""It was a lot of fun working on this menu and we hope everyone enjoys the food as much as we did creating it.""
Bartley added that ""Brian Burke has already identified the Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog as a likely number one pick.""
Burkie's Dog House will be a hot dog experience unlike any other in the city featuring 11 new and exciting hot dog creations. Right next door will be Wally's Donut Shop, offering fried-to-order Raptor Claws and Bear Paws dusted with cinnamon sugar or drizzled with cream cheese icing. A full rundown of items available at Burkie's Dog House and Wally's Donut Shop is as follows:
Burkie's Dog House
• Poutine Dog- layered with matchstick French fries, gravy and cheese curds
• Chicken Hot Dog – caramelized onions, mushrooms and roasted garlic aioli
• Southern BBQ Dog- smoky BBQ pulled pork and creamy coleslaw
• Footlong Hot Dog – with honey mustard sautéed onions
• Maple Hot Dog – hot dog simmered in maple syrup , topped with French baked beans
• Pizza Pizza Dog – tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni
• Reuben Hot Dog – sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand island dressing
• Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog – maple mustard sautéed onions and cheddar cheese
• Lettuce Veggie Dog – chopped tomatoes and spring onions
• Kobe Dog – wasabi mayonnaise and pickled ginger
• Pee Wee Dog – a classic sized hot dog
Wally's Donut Shop
• Raptor Claws
• Bear Paws
• Wally's cinnamon sugar dusted donuts
Burkie's Dog House and Wally's Donut Shop are both located in Air Canada Centre's new Atrium, part of a $48-million arena expansion and revitalization project. The Atrium will also house the interactive broadcast studio for Leafs TV, Raptors NBA TV and GOLTV.
The new menu additions are not limited to just hot dogs and doughnuts though. More than two-dozen items will make their Air Canada Centre debut this fall, including Tuscan chicken and grilled ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches, sweet potato fries and steamed edaname with sea salt.
""We're always looking to enhance the fan experience at Air Canada Centre and that includes combining great service, hospitality and a variety of menu choices for the discerning palates of all of our fans,"" said Michael Doyle, MLSE's vice-president of food and beverage. ""Our new menu items are the perfect complement to our investment we've made in Air Canada Centre during the offseason.""
Fans will have their first chance to sample the new menu tomorrow as the Maple Leafs host the Boston Bruins as part of the preseason opening Coca-Cola Zero Fans First Game, Wednesday, September 16.